Sunday, May 9, 2010

Any thoughts or words of advice?

The wife is coming over this weekend to resolve details towards filing paper work to initiate our divorce. I am greatly concerned that I will do or say something that will interupt the process... I'm not sure that either of us is greatly interested in pursuing a divorce, but I'm in a place where I am unwilling to commit...





we've just been through a lot together... and through counceling, I have recognized that I suffer from unresolved childhood traumas (I guess, kind of a challenge for me to recognize and accept)... I am not comfortable that suffecient progress towards healing has been completed by my self or between us as a couple... additionally, my wife is suffering from the results of her own childhood traumas and unfortunately she has decided that she no longer needs to continue her own counceling... I disagree with this choice...





After renewing the lease at my place and discussing with her an interest I have in purchasing a forclosed home closer to my office next spring (my commute between the house and office was about an hour each way)... she has asked that we proceed with the divorce... we just disagree on so much stuff and are no longer willing to compromise with one another...





I know that I would like to proceed with the divorce... that it is probably the healthiest choice...





and yet, I am fearful that when we are together this weekend...





Any comments or advice?Any thoughts or words of advice?
Make up your mind BEFORE she comes. If you are not ready to discuss the divorce and how you will separate you properties, then don't bother having her over. Nothing good can come of that.Any thoughts or words of advice?
I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm not sure what your house has to do with it, honestly, but anyway...





I suggest you meet in a public place so you can't devolve into an argument, tears, unhealthy and unproductive behavior. You are both doing the right thing, although it is painful. Hang in there. Who knows what will happen after you divorce and have time to heal, work on yourselves? This is not a death sentence.





Good luck.
Get an arbitrator. Have him divide things o an objective basis. Both of you then negotiate till you reach agreement. Then hire just one lawyer to represent her but divide things in accord with the arbitrator's formula. This will help you out in the long run.
Well first have a clear understanding of what will be discussed.





Like property, furnishings, car, credit card debt etc...





Decide what you want and be ready to compromise. This will help keep the discussion short.





Then I suggest taking it to a place that is not so comfortable as home. Your ready for divorce. You want divorce. Remember that.





Try not to be argumentative. Don't discuss your opinion on her choice to discontinue counseling. Deal with the issue at hand and the facts. If you can work out most everything the divorce can be speeded up through a uncontested divorce. Saves money and time.
I have no sympathy for you. You say, ';I'm in a place where I am unwilling to commit,'; but you ARE married - you are committed.





So you have to go to counseling for yourself, fine, good for you for taking that step. But where is it written that people have to be 100% healthy and well in order to be married? You took a vow that included ';in sickness and in health';; I assure you, that is intended to include emotional sicknesses.





I've been married for 23 years, and I firmly believe in the sanctity of marriage. I refuse to give you advice on how not to stop the divorce. You certainly ought to stop the divorce!

No comments:

Post a Comment