Thursday, May 13, 2010

I am 47 years old and just lost the job I've had for the last 22 years. Any words of advice or encouragement?

NOT LOOKING FOR PITY.


It was more than just a job. It was a career.I am 47 years old and just lost the job I've had for the last 22 years. Any words of advice or encouragement?
Look on the bright side you can go on unemployment and train for something else or you'll probably find something right away because you have experience in what you do. Then you only have 15 more years or less until you retire, you can always get an early retirement if you want.I am 47 years old and just lost the job I've had for the last 22 years. Any words of advice or encouragement?
I know this might sound sappy but remember:


'When God closes a door, He is sure to open a window';. I am sure in your many years of forming your career with this company, you've picked up vital skills that may be profitable in a entrepreneurial arena. It may be time to strike out on your own, find the blessing in this change...no matter how difficult or unexpected it may be.
Have you done any networking while at that career? if so, now would be the time to make some calls, put some lines out there. sometimes some things have to go away before we are ever able to move forward.. good luck, and remember, after all those years you probably know some people in the right places.... take a few days off get some things done around the house, get things in order and start the networking.
That really sucks. But you can try to look at it as a new beginning. A break from the same old routine. Find something that will make you just as happy or happier.


Good luck.
I have been in the same boat. I am sorry. But try to understand that this allows you the freedom to find and explore other avenues in your life that you would have missed. There are things that you will not be able to find in new places, but they will offer new and exciting things that your old job did not.


The old saying applies here:


No door is closed without opening another. Just keep your eyes open and yourself available and perhaps look into some training to help you make a leap into new territory! Treat it like the adventure it can be.
At 47 you still have some good working years left in you. This is your chance, to make that career change or open that business you always talked about. With 22 years of experience at your previous job, you should have no problem finding a new job.





Good luck to you
It's like you lose your identity, and don't know where to go or what to do. I know; I've been there. There was a point during that time that I felt like the most worthless person on the planet. (Horrible feeling) At that moment, I felt a sense of calm, and inner peace, which was something I had longed for. I'll never forget that moment. I got another job, and things are fine now. Point is, stuff happens. You can't change it, but you need to deal with it yourself, because no one else can make things better but you. I had concerned family members, but their concern only made me feel worse, because I knew they wanted to help, but couldn't. It was when I accepted what had happened, and realized I COULD get myself off the floor and continue, that my life began to normalize. You're not worthless - You have 22 years of experience that's just waiting to be applied to another position.





I will tell you; however, that I sometimes still resent the people who let me go, and the way they did it. I'm working on that to this day, and it's been 4 years. It's unbelievable how employers can simply dismiss devoted and productive employees, but it's business.





Good Luck.
UNEMPLOYMENT
Sorry to hear that Mike, it must be tough because it becomes a way of life.


Take some time out to think what you'd like to do next.


Or get a damn good CV made up and get an even better job than you had before.





Good Luck!!!
There must be other places where your skills can be applied. I got a new job in my old field when I was a good deal older than you. And that was after 3 years of not working. If you are sharp and experienced you can find a job.
welcome to the reality of corporate world, when you reach over 45 and the closer to 50 you get the harder they look for something to let you go with. General Electric is really good at this, there is no such thing as job security........was with General Electric for 24 years, one day when i turned 50(+) they walked in and walked me out the door. My last review 3 months earlier was just glowing......now i've lost everything........nothing after 24 years.......... it's been a year and i can't even find a job because no one wants to hire a qualified 50(+) year old............I started my own business with the knowledge i have, it's slow, and yes we are starving, but that all i have and know..........good luck to you.... life suxs then you die............
get urself a 22 yr old girl!
I am sorry to hear that. Just keep your head up and try to stay positive. There are plenty of jobs out there. I am assuming you will get unemployment so at least you will have some income. Also, I hope they gave you some sort of severance package after 22 years of service.





I wish you the best of luck!
I am sorry to hear about you losing your job. I do, however, believe strongly in serendipity. I feel as though things like this happen so that you can give a second look at the way your life was heading and decide what you would like to change if you could.





My most favorite example of someone transforming their life after something like this is my mother-in-law's story....





This year she turns 53. Nine years ago, she was devastated by a sudden and horribly cruel divorce after 19 years of marriage. After being depressed for some time and even committing herself to a mental institution for a while, she decided to pull herself together and get her life back on track. She went back to college, completed her bachelor's degree and went on to get her master's at 52. She was worried she wouldn't be able to find a job at her age but within a few weeks of looking she found a job that she is ecstatic to wake up and go to every single day.





This is a hard thing but it could end up being a very good thing. It could end up being the best thing that ever happened to you. I know it will take some time to get over losing this job--like losing a marriage almost...but when you feel ready you can go out there ready to take on the next challenge of your life whether it is in the same industry or another one entirely.





Best Wishes!
the good news is that the job market and grad schools and certificate programs are really open to career changers right now. it's a great time to start trying on the new you!!!
Congratulations ! You must be excited to be getting out there and looking for something new. 22 years, huh? That's rare these days. I'm 47 too and the longest I've ever worked at a place was 6. You'll adjust. It may seem strange at first but I think it will be good for you...kind of like starting fresh. New people, new experiences. Just be positive and go for it. Never look back!
Try to line up something as quickly as you can. It's easier to get a job when you already have a job. With shifts in the global economy, this sort of thing is making it tough for a lot of people. See if you qualify for some education at a community college/technical school. A two year degree in a hot field could put you on top of the world. Get going in time for classes this fall.








Kent in SD

No comments:

Post a Comment