Sunday, May 9, 2010

I have been doing well but things are going wrong, words of advice?

I think i am going to get fired next week due to being signed off for mental health problems, in the last year i have been signed off 4 times. My manager was understanding but this time isn't.


During this time being signed off i have made so much progress and have been feeling much better, in fact i have never felt this well before! But now because of this worry i have noticed a drop in my mood, any advice on how to 'cheer' myself up. I don't want to ruin all of my hard work i have done these last few weeks.I have been doing well but things are going wrong, words of advice?
Firstly, technically they can't fire you for having mental health problems as it's against the Disability Discrimination Act, as far as I know. As long as you can conclusively demonstrate that your time off was due to your issues, then they can't hold it against you. Are you a member of a Union? If so, your representative should help you. I'm lucky in that I have an excellent union representative and she has been helping me work with my new manager about allowing me time off for psychiatrist appointments.





The tack you could try is that the time off was necessary for you to recover and build up your reserves of mental wellness, and that this will benefit the company in the long run. The last thing you want to do is beat yourself up. Chin up, you'll get there.I have been doing well but things are going wrong, words of advice?
wow you've written a lot of posts tonight.





Try turning off your PC and read a book, relax, have a bath/shower and stop stressing about your job - legally they can't sack you.





If you cut down on your internet time you may find life will improve
start hanging out with your friends more. they always make my mood better. go on a weekend road trip with your friends. those are always fun. keep it up
were you hired with the employer knowing of the disability?





are you thinking of applying for disability?
You don't say what the mental health problems are,whether it is depression,stress or psychological,so difficult to know how permanent or deep it is.


However you made a big improvement whilst off work.It suggest to me that a job with 20/25 hours per week might be better,as this will give you lots of time to recuperate,but less earnings though.


Life is full of ups and downers,and the fact you are ill,does not mean you can be sheltered from the swings.Best not get bitter and simply move on and find another job.Even if you get fired 20 times don't think too much,just move onto another job.Get into a mind set of non-thinking,but being determined.Don't allow self pity or sadness to creep in,be mentally tough.


So be philosophical and say if it happens it happens,but it's not going to get me down.l know the job market is getting hard,but all you can do is keep trying for new work.





';Nothing is good or bad,but thinking maketh it so';..........Hamlet


';Hope deferred,maketh the heart sick';........King Lear (so if you hope for something,act upon it.You'll feel better just from the action,the result is second to that)

No comments:

Post a Comment